Wednesday, February 17, 2010

salad

Libby told me a couple months ago that when she grows up she wants to work hard like her dad. (She called it "do hard working.") When I asked her what hard working she would do, she responded that she will be a chef. She has always loved playing in her kitchen and helping me cook, but ever since then she is way more into it. Makenzie is also the perfect helper--naturally she steals the dishes her sister just can't live without and runs off with them, opens the oven of the play kitchen while Libby's cupcakes are baking, etc. :)

Last week I decided I was ready to attack my sewing machine, but none of the projects I had laying around seemed like a fitting start. I stumbled upon these dishtowel aprons and knew they were perfect for my little chefs, and perfectly easy for a challenged sewer such as myself.

I know they are ridiculously easy and anyone with talent is probably laughing at me right now, but I'm ridiculously proud of myself. Brian was very surprised that I pulled it off as well, as he knows the history between my sewing machine and I. I think they came out quite nicely:


Makenzie was very pleased with hers.


At some point before the end of the weekend I'm going to dig into our craft box for some felt and embroider their first initials on them.

Today, our first day back together since our vacation, Libby announced that she would be the chef to make us dinner. We asked her what she wanted to make, and she thought salad, baby carrots, baked potatoes and chicken would be good. So, tonight she put on her apron and scrubbed potatoes, counted carrots, washed, shredded and dried lettuce and picked a mix of added goodies for her salad, while Daddy (who she dubbed "little chef") grilled the chicken and the baked potatoes.


Now I have done the whole "get your kids involved in cooking the food and they'll eat it" thing before. I let Libby help all the time, and she maintains her pickiness. The only logical answer here is that these awesome aprons I made possess a veggie-loving magic. Not only did she take a big part in preparing her food, she also proudly announced that she loves salad, ate her whole bowl full, and polished off all the rest of her food as well.



Kenzie Benz, on the other hand, is easy-peasy and as laid back as kids get. She is always happy to eat what we give her. And she looks darn cute doing it--makes me want to get her out of bed and hug her.


Libby was very proud of her empty salad bowl, and Makenzie was equally proud of how cooperative she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment