Friday, January 22, 2010

loves to loved

Next, our happenings this week.

First, Makenzie loves eating with her hands. The messier the better. Anyone who knows Makenzie could tell you this.

Now, we must change loves to loved. This week she decided she prefers the fork. Suddenly she eats like a little lady. Well, a little lady that makes a whole lot of silly faces.

It makes sense--she has a great role model:


Libby recently told me she loves letters, and sees them at school. She suddenly realized that I can read, and was fascinated by it. She asked if I learned about letters at my school, and if she could read too. I took this opportunity to pick up some really basic letter recognition tools. We started this week with A, B, C, and D. We went through daily and named each letter by sight, as well as tracing each letter. I didn't push or force. At one point I told her we were done and started to clean up and she begged to keep going. It feels good to see her wanting to learn.


Tuesday morning I was opening the blinds and saw this. Reminds me why I love where I live:


Thursday we hit the library and picked up some good resources for some research I'm doing (more on that in another blog), and I let the girls pick a book. When we got back it was nice enough out that the girls could spend some time outside. They had a blast and I got soooo many adorable pictures of Kenzie. She loved walking around the yard "exploring" and Libby loved running around.







At one point Libby discovered she could see the moon and the sun, which led to a great discussion about the moon coming up as the sun goes down. She watched with awe, as though it would happen in one great burst.


After running around outside we made muffins--carrot and orange cranberry, and were off to bed early for a big day today. I let Libby "skip" preschool and brought her to the Providence Children's Museum instead. It was fantastic. The museum is so well done and offered activities and exhibits that engaged both girls, not just one or the other. We loved it so much that we bought a membership before coming home. We'll definitely be back soon. It was a fantastic opportunity for Libby to learn in a relaxed, play-oriented environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment