Monday, January 11, 2010

sew happy

In 2007, when asked what I wanted for Christmas I told my mother I desperately needed a sewing machine. I wanted to make Libby curtains, as I couldn't find any that were quite what I wanted for her room. I had visions of myself starting with curtains, then quilts, then clothes. Next I would learn to knit and make cute hats, sweaters, baby blankets, and more!

I got my sewing machine for Christmas, and soon after rushed out to a craft store and bought all the accessories--pin cushions, needles, assorted scissors, and iron and ironing board, fabric, zippers, buttons, etc. I tore down the curtains in my living room and studied them. I decided I didn't need a pattern, I would just start cutting and sewing.

After sitting down in front of the machine I realized I should have read the manual. The thread kept breaking free from the needle, I jammed it several times, caused knots and ripped up many seams. Brian apparently knew far more than I, and I could only sew when he was home and able to fix whatever I did to the machine while I worked.

Eventually I finished the curtains, and could not have been more proud of my accomplishment. I might have free-handed them, but they looked better than store bought. My frustration with the process, however, got the best of me, and I packed up my freshly purchased gadget and accessories and tucked them away. Since then, two full years ago, I've spotted my sewing machine, my fabric, my needles and threads, and thought of all the things I could do with it. But I was always quickly reminded of just how impossible it was.

Now that we've moved into our new house, I've decided I'm ready to get going again. This time I'm taking a new approach. I started by reading the manual. Next, I read this. Friday night my husband and I had our "date night" and we sat on the floor in the back corner of Borders, flipping through sewing books and writing down titles of things I'll need to read. I've just picked up this. And although I can't wait to get started, this time I'm going to do it right. I'm going to figure out what the hell I'm doing and stick with it. I might even do it all without Brian's help.

1 comment:

  1. I started to sew six months ago for the first time in years. My mom and grandmother were professionals and taught me the tricks of the trade when I lived at home. I sewed from time to time for my daughter. I made her cloth diaper covers. When she was 8 and I started to homeschool her I made her and her cousin jumpers that we called our homeschooled uniforms. I made them the next year each a Madeline dress.

    Six months ago my niece had news that she was going to have a baby. I wanted to make the new baby some baby bibs and burp pads. I went on ebay and bought some homemade items to order so I could make my own patterns. When I got the bib and burp pad the fabric there was "Jungle Babies". I showed my niece the items and she said she wanted to do her nursery in that theme so I ended up making her all of the items for her nursery.

    Next I started to make clothes. I found a vintage dress pattern at Joann's and decided to make the baby a dress like the one my sister, her grandmother had in the early 50's.

    That was six months ago and boy have I learned a lot. I have been making now items that I no longer have to read the instructions for. However, I still need a pattern. If you have a face book acount you can look at the items I have made including the nursery items by going to the web site:

    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#/photos.php?id=1025070572

    Let me know if you viewed them. Enjoy them as I really enjoy making them.

    ReplyDelete